Fact vs Fiction

Why is fiction harder than fact?

Since I properly started writing and self-publishing a few years ago I have produced both non-fiction and fiction titles. I have enjoyed the process of writing both types of book, however I think I can say with good authority that non-fiction books are quicker and easier to write. I can't speak for other people's experiences but it certainly seems as though the words appear on the page quicker.

Is it just a case that when writing a non-fiction book based on your own experiences the stories all come together making sense, the knowledge comes flowing out without any need to tap into the creative part of the brain? When we write fiction, sometimes even having a plan isn't enough, you don't really know what you are writing until it has appeared on the page in-front of you. I guess the other problem is that although you know the story you are trying to portray it can be a challenge to express it in an interesting way, making it funny, realistic and sometimes current. Do we always know how it will end, or if we do know can we explain how the story is going to get there? Where is the conflict, will our lead character save the day on their own, have we done enough to make the audience understand and buy in to our character? Editing is a nightmare, while we spot the inconsistencies, the bad writing, the plot holes and the fact that a character changed names halfway through the story and you didn't notice until now. Fiction books really can be a minefield, so why do we do it?

Free Stock Photo: Studio closeup of an open book with a pen resting in the centre, on a black background

If writing non-fiction books are easier, quicker and overall give the author more confidence in the accuracy of the topic then why would we not just continually write these books. My theory on this is that those of use who dabble in fiction, love a challenge. There are so many concepts for stories out there in the ether and we have no way of having read them all, so we are pitting ourselves up against the world to say that no one has came up with my idea before and I am going to make it interesting enough that you are going to want to read it. It is an amazing challenge to write a fiction novel and although it can be hard work, it is also tremendously rewarding, just knowing someone else has read it makes you feel good inside.

Writing fiction is also more fun, I love the freedom to take my characters in whatever directon I want, yes I wan the audience to buy into them, but it is important to enjoy what you write, letting the world know that I had an idea and if you give it a chance you will enjoy it. I love reliving stories from the past that make it into my non-fiction books, but I have no control over what happens with those stories or characters, they have already been written. My fiction stories are mine and I get to control them from beginning to end and that is fun.

What is your thoughts on fiction versus non-fiction? Let me know below.


Written by; Martin Wallace

Comments

Popular Posts